RIAA Barker Gillette Pakistan is recognised as the leading advisor in Pakistan in the innovative sectors of technology, media and communications.
Our expertise includes major telecoms and internet projects, including a number of new entrants into the reorganised telecoms sectors, major telephone line projects, privatisations and work for international players such as Nortel Networks regarding corporate and regulatory matters. We frequently represent communications providers in various types of dispute.
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) News, advised client in relation to licensing and registration of branch office in Pakistan.
- Government of Pakistan, represented client in the USD 2.59b privatization of Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited. The Firm was responsible for advising on Pakistan law issues in the transaction, advising on the regulatory framework, and negotiating all transaction documents with Etisalat, the acquirer.
- Loral Skynet Corporation, advised client in relation to assignment of regulatory license and registration of satellites. Advised on agreement relating to Skynet space segment capacity service.
- Nortel Networks (Asia) Limited, advised client in relation to agreement with Pak Telecom Mobile Limited for the supply of expansion of PTML GSM network and allied systems.
- Oberthur Card Systems, represented client with regard to the options of undertaking business activities in the field of providing smart cards and the sale and distribution of chips in Pakistan.
- Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited, represented client in turn-key projects throughout Pakistan wherein the Firm negotiated various transaction and concession documents with Alcatel CIT, Siemens, Ericsson and China Telecom.
- STAR Group Limited, advised client in relation to Agreement between ESPN Inc. and FMS International Limited for distribution of the ESPN international program service in Pakistan.
- Telecard Limited, represented client in its constitutional petition against the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority and Frequency Allocation Board.
- Trakker (Pvt.) Limited, represented client, which is Pakistan’s first multi-national company in Vehicle and Fleet Management Services operating across Pakistan and the Middle East.
- Data communications
- Operation and maintenance of telecommunications
- Internet-based services
- Regulatory framework
- Satellite communications and services
- Hardware and software newco entities
- Voice over internet protocol (“VOIP”)