Managing Partner: China
Ayla Ahmed is the Managing Partner of RIAA Barker Gillette (China). Her legal expertise spans a range of areas including contract negotiations, strategic planning, corporate and financial restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, privatizations and project finance.
Ayla’s varied experience covers a number of sectors but she has a particular focus on Petroleum and Natural Gas, Telecommunications and Energy.
- Barrister at Law (Lincoln’s Inn) 1997
- LL.M. University of Cambridge 1996
- LL.B. (Hons.) University of London 1995
- Premier Oil Plc. – represented client in the demerger of Premier-Shell Pakistan BV
- Premier-KUFPEC Pakistan BV – represented client in its demerger and restructure
- Premier Oil Plc. – represented client in the proposed acquisition of a petroleum exploration and development company operating in Pakistan
- Government of Pakistan (InterState Gas Systems Limited) – represented client in the development and negotiation of various agreements relating to the US$7 billion Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India Gas Pipeline Project.
- Government of Pakistan (InterState Gas Systems Limited) – represented client in the development and negotiation of various agreements relating to the US$4 billion Iran-Pakistan-India Gas Pipeline Project.
- Sui Southern Gas Company Limited – represented client in the development of transmission and distribution network, sale of its Liquefied Petroleum Gas Division and the Meter Manufacturing Division.
- Government of Pakistan – represented client in the US$2.59 billion privatization of Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited. The Firm was responsible for advising on Pakistan law issues in the transaction, advising on the regulatory framework and negotiating all transaction documents with Etisalat, the acquirer.
- Magnitgorsk Iron and Steel Works – represented client, the leading single-site ferrous metallurgy company in Russia, in the privatization of Pakistan Steel Mills Limited. The Firm has successfully negotiated and obtained on behalf of the abandoned privatization of the Pakistan Steel Mills, the refund of the entire advance purchase price paid by the client.
- Counsel for Premier Oil plc, Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company, and various other oil & gas exploration and development companies in all their matters relating to Concession Documents, Gas Sale Agreements and regulatory matters.
- Counsel for Nortel Networks with regard to all corporate and regulatory matters pertaining to Pakistan law.
- Counsel for Zahra Communications (Private) Ltd in a suit against National Telecommunication Corporation.
- Counsel for one of the bidders in the privatization of Pakistan State Oil Limited.
- Sindh Bar Council
- Sindh High Court Bar Association
- Enrolled as an Advocate High Courts of Pakistan
- Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn